Sarah Lawrence College is a private and independent liberal arts college located 15 miles north of Manhattan. The college is known for its rigorous academic standards and low student-to-faculty ratio of 6-to-1. Kanban began working with Sarah Lawrence in 2009.
Sarah Lawrence College utilizes a unique grading system whereby academic evaluations are conducted in lieu of grades. As a mission-critical process, a web-enabled system was required to streamline the evaluation process and provide archiving, search, and security functions, among many other improvements.
Kanban interviewed an extensive number of faculty and established a steering committee made up of key professors and deans. An agile and collaborative approach was established with weekly on-site functionality reviews. The .Net technology stack fit within the overall technology standards and architecture.
The new student evaluation application incorporated a number of key features and improvements:
- Version control, auto-save, and rich-text editing addressed serious shortcomings.
- The system integrated with email to allow for alerts and direct communications.
- A new security framework established printing controls and associated unique IDs.
- The application integrated with legacy systems.
- Usability improvements reduced the burden of completing evaluations for faculty.
- Reporting and metrics allowed for the timely monitoring by the Registrars Office.
The team integrated the following technologies:
- C# .Net
- Spring Framework for .Net
- Jenzabar Internet Campus Solution (JICS Portal)